Thursday, May 13, 2010

An Introduction to the Travellers of the UK 2010 Trip and May 12 2010 at JFK




My apologies to the people who would have liked to have seen this blog sooner but there were some circumstances that prevented me from starting it. This is the blog for the 2010 UK trip and it will be a complete blast for all of us. We've been waiting for this for some time now and we are so excited to be here. My name is Alicia and I will be your guide, through this blog, about our experiences in the UK. It will be posted daily and please feel free to leave comments for me or others. Thanks for reading! :)

There are 17 wonderful travellers on the trip this year and two fantastic professors from Elmira College. I will now tell you who they are:

Melissa Sullivan '11
Major: Psychology, Sociology and Women's Studies.
What She wants to see in the UK: While in the UK I want to see the london tower, make faces at the Queens guards, try fish and chips at a chippy, and picnic on the river Thames. I want to take it all in, and go on as many adventures as possible.

Luke Sanderson '10
Major:Political Science, International Relations, and History
What He wants to see While in the UK: I plan to see the Globe Theater and Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. I will also be traveling to Glasgow, Scotland.

Myesha Moss '13
Major: NursingWhat She wants to do while in the UK:Windsor Castle- the official residence of the Queen, Parliament, and Queen Elizabeth I Tomb at Westminster Abbey!

Shannon Roemer '13
Major: Nursing.
What She wants to do while in the UK: I want to visit the Imperial War Museum.

Clare Lowery '13
Major: Political Science
What She wants to do while in the UK:I hope to visit Trafalgar Square in order to see the statue of Lord Nelson.

Robbie Clark '11
Major: Criminal Justice
What He plans to do while in the UK: I hope to visit Trafalgar Square in order to see the statue of Lord Nelson.

Lawrence Memhard '11
Major: American Studies
What He plans to do while in the UK:I will be attending the Guiness PrimereRugby Final, looking forward to making new friends,and going to a technorave dance party.

Brittany Adamson '12
Major: Biology Major/Art Minor
What She plans to do while in the UK: I would like to go to Trafalgar Square where there's the National Gallery, go into the castles in Scotland and Ireland, and see all the cathedrals and architecture in the UK

Emma Prendeville '12
Major: Political Science, Public Affairs, International Relations, and Communications
What She plans to do while in the UK: I want to read about the recent media on the recent election, Parliament, Ten Downing Street (PM home), talk with people in UK about their government and how it affects them, how the political system works in the environment of the UK.

Carlie Cerne '11
Major: Biology/Pre-Med
What She Plans to do while in the UK: I plan on making the most out of my UK visit. For me, this is the opportunity of a lifetime and one I may never have again. I am looking forward to seeing everything London has to offer and much more. I plan to also see Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh to say I visited all the capitals in the UK! I cannot wait to see some of the places that the Harry Potter films were made, ride a double-decker bus and have tea and crumpets. The inner Biology-major in me is also looking forward to a trip to the Science Museum :)

Beth Sharry'13
Major: Nursing
What She plans to do while in the UK: I am Planning on seeing Andrew Lloyd Webber's newest musical Love Never Dies.

Alexandra Lugo '12
Major: History and Religion/Philosophy Double Major
What She plans on doing while in the UK: What I plan on seeing in the UK is various historical and cultural monuments, museums,and I really want to visit Chartwell where Winston Churchill lived.

Laura Trapletti '13
Major: Anthropology and Sociology with an English Literature Minor.
What She plans on doing while in the UK: I plan on seeing J.R.R Tolkien's grave at the Oxford cemetary and visiting the pub that he wrote one of his most famous books The Hobbit in.

Cassie Groth '11
Major: Psychology, Criminal Justice, Human Services
What She plans to do while in the UK:In the United Kingdom, I am excited to visit the Charles Dickens Museum and learn more about his life and see some of his personalitems. I can't wait to visit the Tower of London and learn about theplace in which Anne Boleyn was beheaded. Also, just exploring thedaily lives of the people of England, seeing The Phantom of the Opera,and noticing the differences between America and the UK.

Margorie Brockway'11
Major: Chemistry
What She plans to do while in the UK: I plan on going to Nottingham and seeing the Nottingham Castle along with Sherwood Forest and a museum there. I also want to try and visit one of the graves that could be Robin Hood's but I might not be able to do this because it is on private property and I will need to get permission.

Alicia Schmidt '11
Major: History
What I plan to do while in the UK: I plan on going to museums like the National Portrait Gallery, and I also plan on cataloging our trip to the UK and just absorbing as much of the culture of the past as I can, while trying to be the best blogmaster I can be.

Adam Pontius '13
Major: Political Science, International Studies with a minor in Philosophy.
What He plans to do while in the UK: I plan on visiting Apsley housing and observing the political habits of the British people.

Our two wonderful professors are Professor Wolfe and Professor Parkhouse and they will be guiding us through London for the next three weeks.These are the people that are travelling this year. A very diverse group, if I may say. :)

May 12 2010
The arrival point is JFK at gate 5 for a 7:45pm flight to London Heathrow Airport. It took some time for everyone to arrive but everyone was all present and accounted for. Right when we were ready to board the plane, a delay was called and the flight was delayed til 8:30 pm. However, to our surprise we boarded earlier than expected and we made up for the lost time. It was a long flight to Heathrow but it was well worth the hours and constantly taking out your papers for them to look over. We arrived at London Heathrow airport at 8:34am local time and collected ourselves for the long journey to Regents College.

No comments:

Post a Comment